Okay folks. Gather around the campfire, get your marshmallows roasting and prepare to read one of the weirdest stories you’ve ever heard before in your entire life. Well, not really that weird but it is crazy.
It’s the story of how a black bear ate too much cocaine, overdosed and is now a local attraction in Kentucky known as “Pablo Eskobear”.
On September, 11th, 1985, former lawyer and drug lord – Andrew Thornton was on a drug route, flying back from Columbia and had dropped 40 kilos of cocaine in the Chattahoochee National Forest.
He then decided to ditch his plane mid flight, however things didn’t go as planned and he became tangled in his parachute – leading him to free fall to his death.
His body was found in Knoxville, Tennessee in a local resident’s backyard.
When law enforcement traced his path through the forest, they came to a shocking discovery.
40 open containers of cocaine worth approximately $15 million and a HEAVILY overdosed 175-pound dead black bear.
Mr. Eskobear, as we’ve came to know him probably suffered one of the most fatal drug overdoses known to man. Or to animal.
Kentucky for Kentucky reached out to the retired medical examiner who performed the necropsy on the bear and here’s what he had to say:
“Its stomach was literally packed to the brim with cocaine. There isn’t a mammal on the planet that could survive that. Cerebral hemorrhaging, respiratory failure, hyperthermia, renal failure, heart failure, stroke. You name it, that bear had it.”
Despite its horrible death, the bear was still in good cosmetic shape and was therefore stuffed and put on display at the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area.
Through a wild series of events, the bear went through multiple owners including country singer – Waylon Jennings. Finally, Kentucky for Kentucky which is an alliance formed by two friends to promote the state of Kentucky, found the bear after a wild goose hunt.
Now, the the famous coke bear is stationed at Kentucky Fun Mall for everyone to see and bask in its peculiarity.